Charles Johnston

The Charles Johnston established the Sandusky estate in 1808 on 234 acres of land he purchased from John and Molley Timberlake in Campbell County. Johnston and his family lived in Sandusky from the time it was completed until 1818 when Johnston retired to Botetourt Springs. 38 year-old Charles Johnston, the third son of Scottish emigrant Peter Johnston. Charles grew up in Prince Edward County at the Johnston family home named “Longwood.” Peter Johnston donated 100 acres for the establishment of Hamden-Sydney College. In 1949 another college, the State Teachers College, renamed itself Longwood University after the Johnston estate.

 

 

In his late teens Charles began clerking for a Mr. John May of Petersburg, Virginia. It was during his employment with May that he experienced a life-changing event which provided the name for Johnston’s future home in Campbell County, Virginia. In 1790 May and Johnston organized a journey to Kentucky to survey some lands owned by May. The previous year they traveled by land however this time they decided to use the Ohio River. Along the way they were attacked 40 odd hostile Indians, a mix of Shawnee, Delaware, Wyandot, and Cherokee. Two of the group were killed outright and the remainder taken prisoner. For several weeks Johnston was trundled by his captors across the Ohio Territory until finally reaching a small trading village in Sandusky. A French trader took pity on Johnston and purchased him from bondage for the price of “600 silver broaches.” Johnston received his freedom on his 21st birthday, about one month from the day of his capture. After a long journey through the Great Lakes and down the eastern seaboard, Johnston returned to his home in Virginia. During the journey he stopped in New York City where he was interviewed by President George Washington and made a deposition about his capture and captivity before Secretary of War Henry Knox.

In 1802, Johnston resided in Richmond, Virginia, where he married Letitia Pickett and fathered three children. He worked as a merchant for the firm Pickett, Pollard, and Johnston. Following the death of his wife he left Richmond for Campbell County and in 1808 married Elizabeth Steptoe, the daughter of Bedford County clerk James Steptoe. That year he oversaw the construction of a two-story Federal style house which he named “Sandusky.”

One of Johnston's neighbors was Thomas Jefferson who established a home nearby at "Poplar Forest." Johnston handled many of Jefferson’s tobacco transactions and invited him to dine at Sandusky in 1817. Johnston’s sister-in-law, Francis Steptoe Langhorne, reported that “Mr. Johnston intends having a big dinner tomorrow Mr. Jefferson is to be of the party and to dine on venison at least that is a dish they seem to admire most.”

A large venture in Botetourt County proved to be Johnston’s downfall however. Johnston was one of a dozen investors in a land development deal. A tobacco town was planned complete with houses for workers, stores, shops, facilities for drying and packing tobacco. Before it could come to fruition the Great Panic of 1819 wiped out Johnston’s assets and he was forced to sell Sandusky. He moved to Lynchburg for a year and then moved to his tract of land in Botetourt County, the site of the failed development project. He opened and operated a hotel and spa there until his death in 1833. Before his death he wrote a memoir about his Indian captivity entitled "A Narrative of the Incidents Attending Capture, Detention, and Ransom of Charles Johnston of Botetourt County.” President James Madison helped to fund the printing of Johnston's book. Years after his death Johnston's hotel became a college which grew into present day Hollins University.

 

To purchase a copy of Johnston's memoir click here

Historic Sandusky 

757 Sandusky Drive

Lynchburg Virginia, 24502

Phone: 1- (434) - 832 - 0162

E-mail: info@historicsandusky.org

Historic Sandusky is currently closed due to the pandemic. Visitors can walk the grounds and take a self-guided tour using our new self-guided tour brochure available on the wall of the visitor center.

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Trip Advisor Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon

Historic Sandusky is owned and operated by

the University of Lynchburg.

Visit the University of Lynchburg website

at www.lynchburg.edu

Website Created by Diana Harvey