Christian Jacob Hutter

Christian Jacob Hutter was born May 17, 1771, at New Deitendorf Saxe Gotha, Germany to Johann Ludwig Hutter and Anna Maria Kuntz (born March 5, 1729). In 1773 the family lived in Zeist in the providence of Utrecht in the Netherlands where Johann Ludwig worked as a tanner and leather manufacturer for the Moravian brethren. 

 

Christian Jacob was sent to the American settlement of Bethlehem Pennsylvania in October of 1789. Here, Christian Jacob married his first wife, Maria Magdalene Huber with whom he had George Christian Hutter.

In 1799 Christian Jacob and his wife were living in Lancaster Pa, where he founded the newspaper Der Lancaster Correspondent which was issued from May 25, 1799, to September 3, 1803. From here, the Hutters moved to  Easton Pa, where Christian Jacob founded the newspaper Der Northampton Correspondent. From Easton, Christian Jacob also published the Pennsylvania Herald, the Easton Intelligencer, The People's Instructor and the Centinel with his sons and sons-in-law succeeding him. 

In addition to his interest in the newspaper business, Christian Jacob also took interest in military and political matters. He was actively engaged in the War of 1812 as a Lieutenant-Colonel in command of the Northampton, Leigh, and Pike Counties' Militia. He also served as a member of the State House of Representatives from 1822 to 1825 and was County Recorder of Deeds in 1829. Christian Jacob also acted as the first Worshipful Master of the Easton Lodge of Masons. 

 

 He was married December 9, 1805, to his second wife Maria Charlotte Bauer with whom he has Fredericka Amalia Hutter, and Edward Sixtus Hutter. 

 

Christian Jacob married for the third and final time, Elizabeth Gobrecht. Christian Jacob died at Easton January 10, 1849. 

Historic Sandusky 

757 Sandusky Drive

Lynchburg Virginia, 24502

Phone: 1- (434) - 832 - 0162

E-mail: info@historicsandusky.org

Fall/Winter Hours:  Saturday: 10:00 - 4:00

Other times by Appointment

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Trip Advisor Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon

Historic Sandusky is owned and operated by

the University of Lynchburg. Visit the University of Lynchburg website at www.lynchburg.edu

Website Created by Diana Harvey