History of Sandusky. Part 3, the Hutter Century
In 1841 Sandusky, and its 512 acres, was purchased by George Christian Hutter who set up his home there along with his wife Harriet. This began the longest family residency of Sandusky, one that lasted 111 years across three generations.
George was the son of a German immigrant who settled in Easton, Pennsylvania. As a young man, during the War of 1812, he served briefly in the Pennsylvania militia but did not see any action. This however marked the beginning of a long military career. In 1820, he joined the US Army, in the Corps of Artillery, and was soon sent to Florida which had just seen the conclusion of the First Seminole Indian War (1817-1819).
He wrote in his diary, "Feb. 13 Received an appointment in the army of the U.S. as 2d Lieutenant to take rank from the 28th Jan, 1820."
For the next four decades Hutter served as a soldier throughout the Southeast and West; first in the Corps of Artillery, then in the 6th United States Infantry, and finally as a Paymaster. He ended his career as a Major and was often referred to by friends and family and "Major Hutter," even after his retirement.