History of Sandusky. Part 5: The Adkinsons

After more than 100 years, Sandusky was sold out of the Hutter family, in 1952. At this point Sandusky had been owned by Janie C. Hutter, the widow of Ferdinand Lee Hutter. Their children had all married and moved away. For most of the 19th century the property consisted of 600 acres; by the mid 20th century is was but 3.84 acres. The surrounding meadows and fields had been sold to a developer who proceeded to build the Sandusky subdivision which now consists of about 700 homes. The developer was aware of Sandusky’s history, particularly Charles Johnston’s captivity at the hands of Native-American Indians in 1790, so he proceed to name most of the streets after Indian tribes, e.g. Apache, Mo

History of Sandusky. Part 4: The Enslaved Families

It must not be forgotten that part of Sandusky’s history, until 1865, were the enslaved families that lived and worked there. Their history is often hidden and difficult to uncover. The enslaved were usually not literate so they did not leave any writings that might help us understand their lives. Their owners’ writings only mentioned them briefly usually. The lives of the enslaved were spent toiling in the background and serving their masters by helping run the estates and farms they lived upon. Enslaved women typically did most of the cooking, sewing, cleaning, and supervising the children, both white and black. Enslaved men worked outdoors more often clearing land, planting and harvesting

History of Sandusky. Part 3, the Hutter Century

In 1841 Sandusky, and its 512 acres, was purchased by George Christian Hutter who set up his home there along with his wife Harriet. This began the longest family residency of Sandusky, one that lasted 111 years across three generations. George was the son of a German immigrant who settled in Easton, Pennsylvania. As a young man, during the War of 1812, he served briefly in the Pennsylvania militia but did not see any action. This however marked the beginning of a long military career. In 1820, he joined the US Army, in the Corps of Artillery, and was soon sent to Florida which had just seen the conclusion of the First Seminole Indian War (1817-1819). He wrote in his diary, "Feb. 13 Received

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Trip Advisor Social Icon

Historic Sandusky 

757 Sandusky Drive

Lynchburg Virginia, 24502

Phone: 1- (434) - 832 - 0162

E-mail: info@historicsandusky.org

Historic Sandusky is currently closed due to the pandemic. Visitors can walk the grounds and take a self-guided tour using our new self-guided tour brochure available on the wall of the visitor center.

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Trip Advisor Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon

Historic Sandusky is owned and operated by

the University of Lynchburg.

Visit the University of Lynchburg website

at www.lynchburg.edu

Website Created by Diana Harvey